Rodney Oneal Wesson, of Elkton, Maryland, was convicted of First Degree Assault, Second Degree Assault and Reckless Endangerment on March 30, 2017 in the Circuit Court for Queen Anne’s County.  Wesson was convicted of stabbing another man in the chest during a High School Playoff Football Game at Queen Anne’s County High School Stadium.  The case was prosecuted by Deputy State’s Attorney Michael “Mick” Cuches.

On November 11, 2016 Queen Anne’s County High School’s varsity football team was playing Elkton High School in a home playoff game.  Three Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Deputies were present for security measures at the game.  Around 8pm, towards the end of the halftime break, First Sgt. John Meyers, Deputy First Class George Sewell and Deputy First Class Mitch Jones were standing near the entry gate.  At this time they heard two males and a female yelling to them for help.  They pointed to a man running from the bleachers area indicating that the man had just stabbed someone.  DFC Sewell then saw the man heading towards the exit.  When DFC Sewell made eye contact with the man,  he made a shocked facial expression and ran out of the stadium exit towards the parking lot.  The Deputies gave chase on foot and witnessed Wesson threw something into a trash can as he continued to run.  Wesson was apprehended a short distance later and when the Deputies returned to the trash can they found a black folding steel knife with a four inch blade.

The victim, who was later identified to be the boyfriend of Mr. Wesson’s estranged wife, was found to be suffering from a stab wound to the left side of his chest and was subsequently flown to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma for treatment.  The victim was released from Shock Trauma the following day and luckily did not suffer any injuries to internal organs or other vital body parts.

Mr. Wesson elected to be tried by the Circuit Court Judge instead of a jury.  The two day trail began March 29, 2017 and during the trial Mr. Wesson claimed the stabbing was in self defense, however Deputy State’s Attorney Mick Cuches successfully argued that Mr. Wesson was the initial aggressor, used deadly force in the attack and that self defense clearly did not apply to this case.  The Judge found Mr. Wesson guilty and sentencing was scheduled for April 25, 2017.

On April 25, 2017 Rodney Wesson was sentenced to serve 11 years in the Maryland Division of Corrections and was also ordered to pay for the victim’s medical bills.  His Maryland Sentencing Guidelines, which are a guide to be used by the Judge, but not binding by the Judge, were held to be 6 to 12 years of incarceration.

Mick Cuches asked for 20 years to serve in this case.  Mr. Cuches argued that not only did Mr. Wesson stab the victim in the left side of the chest near the heart, but did this at a  youth athletic event on school grounds.  Mr. Cuches stated that a strong message needs to be sent that the State’s Attorney’s Office will aggressively prosecute individuals who commit acts of violence in this County and we will also ask for lengthy prison sentences to be handed down by the Court.