A Queen Anne’s County jury convicted Jeffrey David Baynocky of transporting a handgun in a vehicle on Friday, February 8, 2019. The case was prosecuted by Deputy State’s Attorney Michael “Mick” Cuches.

 On August 14, 2018 at approximately 12:55 am, Trooper John Tucker of the Maryland State Police was dispatched to the area north of Barclay on Route 313 for the report of a disabled vehicle. Upon his arrival to that area he observed a Mercedes 350 stopped on the shoulder with its right turn signal on. Trooper Tucker pulled behind the vehicle and approached to assist the driver. When he did so he observed Jeffrey David Baynocky  of Milford, Delaware, seated in the drivers seat and alone in the car. Mr. Baynocky said he was okay and was just using his cell phone. After retrieving Mr. Baynocky’s identification Trooper Tucker saw a black handgun on the passenger side of the vehicle’s center console in a mesh pocket. Mr. Baynocky was asked to step from the vehicle. Thereafter Trooper Tucker told Mr. Baynocky that he saw a handgun in the vehicle, to which Mr. Baynocky replied that he knew it was in the vehicle and that it was loaded with a round in the chamber.

 Trooper Tucker then retrieved the handgun which was later identified as a black and gray CZ Duty 9mm semi-automatic handgun with 18 rounds in the magazine and one round in the chamber. Further investigation also revealed that it had three different types of ammunition. Six of the bullets were 9mm Luger caliber hollow point cartridges, eight were 9mm Luger caliber cartridges bearing the Perfecta headstamp, and five were 9mm Luger caliber polymer coated cartridges.

 A check through the Maryland Automated Firearms Services System database revealed that Mr. Baynocky did not have a handgun permit issued by the Maryland State Police Licensing Division.  The handgun was seized and Mr. Baynocky was charged with unlawfully transporting a handgun in a vehicle. The firearm was found to be operable during a test fire at the Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division by Examiner Whitley Mayo.

 Mr. Baynocky was convicted on February 8, 2019 after a jury trial and sentenced by the Honorable Thomas G. Ross to 12 months of incarceration, suspended, and placed on thirty months of unsupervised probation. He was also ordered to pay fines, costs, and not to possess firearms while on probation.